Gone are the days of grabbing one car seat and a stroller and heading off to the airport. Traveling with 2 kids makes the complexity of traveling with kids all the more difficult and throwing a newborn into the mix means a number of items to think about packing. We just got back from a 12 day road trip from Vancouver to Calgary across Canada, some of the must have items below saved my family from unnecessary stress and meant my little man was comfortable.
1) Travel cot: many hotels have a crib or cot available however if you are going to be heading off the beaten track it’s worth the hassle to lug one of these along. You can pick one up on Amazon or the likes in other countries. I also like taking my own crib traveling because i feel like it’s a little bit of normality for baby and it means he’s sleeping in the same bed each night regardless of the location. I also FREAK out about SIDS so knowing he’s safe in his bed each night makes me sleep easier.
2) Car Travel Mirror: I cannot recommend travel mirrors enough! We just drove 2,500km across Canada and it was great to be able to look back as see Augustine and whether he was ok. A lot of SUV’s you rent when doing a road trip may only have 2 seats or there are three but the two car seats take up most of the room. It means you can see your rear facing child and talk to them through the mirror. The version i have just clips onto the head rest of the back seats and you have the ability adjust the position.
3) Pram/ Stroller: When I first had my daughter 4 years ago i flew to New Zealand from Australia with my Baby Jogger Summit X3 and stuffed the wheels therefore I highly recommend NOT taking your expensive stroller traveling, even when you gate check it. My recommendation when you have an infant is to buy a second hand stroller that is compatible with you car seat capsule. Jimmie and I were thinking of just taking the carseat and our baby bjorn on holiday however i cracked last minute and looked on facebook market place and managaed to pick up a Bob stroller compatible with my Britax B Safe 35 capsule. It was a life saver on vacation as we were able to go out for dinner with friends in Whister and Calgary for a number of hours but it also means Augustine was able to sleep in it during the day as he refuses to sleep in hs crib unless it is night time.
4) Airplane pillow: Not what you would generally use this for but I used my airplane pillow for baby head support while breastfeeding on the plane. It means baby’s head isn’t hitting the metal headrest, it’s slightly more comfortable and a support for you and once he is done he continued to sleep comfortably
5) Car seat gate check bag: these things are a must, whether you are gate checking or counter checking your car seat, these bags keep the dirt and dust off your car seat. You can buy these on Amazon really cheap, a definite must have!
The last point is to take it easy and breath. The airport experience can be painful, especially with 2 kids but it doesn’t last forever. The memories you make on the road are always more memorable than how you arrived at your destination so breath through and try to think of that cocktail in the lounge!